- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 small red onion
- ½ lb cremini mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 ½ tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp chives or rosemary
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat
- Add the sliced mushrooms and diced onions to the pan and sautee for 10 minutes. If the onions become a bit brown, that indicates good flavour! Use a wooden spoon to scrape the pan as it cooks.
- Add the minced garlic, thyme, and worcestershire (this is seriously the secret ingredient. You can’t skimp on this!). Stir and let cook for 1 minute.
- Add the all-purpose flour, stir to coat the mushrooms, and let it cook for 1 minute. Stir a few times. Add the broth and stir.
- Bring the gravy to a low simmer and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let it cook for 10 minutes as the gravy thickens.
- Serve on mashed potatoes, noodles or rice!
Hate being called out as a picky vegetarian during Christmas dinner? With the holidays around the corner, we know how difficult it can be to enjoy Christmas dinner without skimping out on half of the dishes. This gravy will seriously be gobbled up by vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. It is super thick and hearty- plus it can be veganized by simply using margarine instead of butter! All of us at Nutrition Well tested and tasted it- and we agree that you’re guaranteed to love it.