Vegan Lo Bak Go
Write a review
- 450g daikon, grated (or half grated and half chopped small)
- 225g fine rice flour
- 1 diced shiitake mushroom, rehydrated from dried (about 7cm diameter
- 2 tablespoons scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Oil for frying
- Place your grated/chopped daikon in a pot over high heat. Add just enough water to barely cover the daikon.
- Bring the water to a boil, then turn the heat to low and continue to simmer until the daikon is tender.
- In the meantime, fry up the fillings. Heat about a teaspoon of oil over high heat. Add the mushroom, scallions, shallots, garlic and salt.
- Cook while stirring continuously until the shallots are a bit golden then remove from heat and set aside.
- When the daikon is tender, drain it but reserve one cup of liquid. Keep the daikon in the cooking pot. If you prefer a saltier, more savory turnip cake, you can add a cube of vegetable broth to the reserved liquid. Or discard all the liquid and replace it with prepared vegetable broth.
- Mix the cup of liquid with the rice flour until the flour is dissolved. Add the fillings and white pepper and any additional seasonings you would like such as soy sauce.
- Add the rice flour mixture to the drained daikon. Cook over low heat while stirring until mixture has thickened. Less than 5 minutes.
- Prepare your steaming apparatus. Add water to the base of your steamer and bring to a boil. Oil a heat-proof container that will fit into the steamer basket.
- Fill your heat-proof container with the daikon mixture, smoothing the top with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Place the container into the steaming basket and steam over high heat for 45 minutes to one hour. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is done.
- At this point, you can serve it or fry it first.
- Chill the cake to make slicing and frying easier. I find it is best to cover it and chill it overnight in the refrigerator.
- Afterwards, slice into 3/4" thick pieces. Fry in an oiled pan over medium/high heat for a minute on each side or until golden.
- Serve with sweet soy sauce, hot chili oil and fresh scallions.
Nutrition Well http://nutritionwell.co/