Shrimp & Barley Stir-fry
- 1 cup pre-cooked Snappy Grains barley (fresh barley or preferably day old leftover barley
- Tiger prawns or shrimp
- 1 cup of chopped kale or chard (swap for any fresh, frozen or canned vegetables on-hand)
- ½ onion diced
- 2 shallots diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- ½ tsp diced ginger
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Optional seasoning : white pepper & black pepper, garlic powder and paprika
- Optional: quarter wedge of lemon to squeeze over top
- Fried rice works best with day-old rice to prevent soggy fried rice. The same applies for barley! Use preferably day old barley (plain or cooked in stock)
- Wash your shrimp in water and pat dry with a towel. Sprinkle lightly with seasonings (pepper, paprika)
- Add oil to the pan and heat on medium high heat.
- Add diced onion, shallots, garlic, ginger and shrimp to the pan. Flip the shrimp when they turn pinkish-red. Be careful not to overcook your prawns (about 1-2 minutes per side)!
- Once the shrimp turn a pinkish-red colour and shrink slightly, remove them off the heat and place into a small bowl.
- Add your pre-cooked barley into the hot pan and stir-fry on medium-high heat until fully warmed and golden. Add oyster sauce and soy sauce and mix.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low heat. Add the chopped kale and chard until wilted (or veggies of choice). Throw the cooked prawns back into the pan
- Once combined, serve and enjoy!
Want to spruce up your leftover barley? This one-pan prawn & barley stir-fry is the perfect meal for busy parents, university students, or anyone that wants a quick but hearty meal. A fantastic meal-prep idea is cooking a batch of barley in advance, then storing it in the fridge to be used in a variety of dishes. Day-old rice is typically used in fried rice to prevent the dish from being soggy. This is a perfect way to turn leftovers into a fresh gourmet meal. Load this stir-fry with any vegetables you have on hand (e.g. frozen veg like peas and carrots, corn, leafy greens, broccoli). I love adding a variety of veggies for a fresh pop of colour and nutrients! Shrimp is a nutrient-dense food rich in protein and other essential nutrients, boasting about 20g of protein/ 3 ounces! For vegetarians/vegans, the shrimp can be swapped for any plant-based protein like tofu, tempeh, seitan, bean curd, beans and more!
Barley is a delightful chewy whole grain that is packed with antioxidants and soluble fiber that helps reduce cholesterol and regulate blood sugar. Barley is also a good source of protein and iron! Snappy Grains offers two types of quick-cooking barley pouches-regular and organic, perfect for any meal!