Chicken Fajita Kebabs
Where do I start? These kebabs came together super quick and made the perfect weeknight summer dinner! Even the prep was fun! Making patterns with the peppers, onions and chicken would be a great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen. The peppers also provide a range of vitamins, minerals and benefits such as vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium plus folate, fibre and iron! We chose to serve the kebabs with a side of rice and guacamole and it was absolutely delicious! This dish has it all, good source of protein, adequate amount of healthy fats, veggies and carbohydrates! I would recommend marinating the chicken overnight if possible and if you like it spicy try adding some sriracha into the marinade for a real kick! Overall awesome recipe for a more nutritionally dense backyard BBQ.
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp orange juice (mandarin or navel)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing the grill
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 tsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp chili powder (preferably 1 tsp regular 1 tsp ancho)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp minced canned chipotle pepper, or more to taste (about 1 pepper)
- 3 tbsp minced fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and diced into 1-inch chunks
- 3 bell peppers (preferably 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green), cored and diced into 1-inch pieces
- If using wooden skewers soak in water overnight or at least 1 hour.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together lime zest, lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, chipotle pepper, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a gallon size resealable bag then pour marinade mixture over chicken.
- Seal bag while pressing out excess air, rub marinade over chicken and transfer to the refrigerator.
- Let marinate at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- Preheat the grill over medium-high heat to 400 degrees.
- Thread chicken and peppers onto skewers (similar to the pattern pictured).
- Brush grill grates with oil and place skewers on grill and grill until center registers 165, about 6 minutes per side.
- Serve warm garnished with cilantro. I recommend serving over quinoa or cilantro lime rice or serve in warmed tortillas.