Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
This recipe may look difficult due to the length of the instructions but I promise you it is so simple and takes only a few minutes of prep time! The ingredients are simple and make good use of any veggies hiding in your fridge and the availability of squash during the fall. However, depending on the buffalo sauce you use it may have quite a kick! The ranch and addition of cheese is a must if you are easily overwhelmed by hot sauces! This recipe definitely packs a punch… both in flavour and in protein. With 36g of protein it will help keep you satisfied and full. The spaghetti squash also provides a delicious but lower in calorie carbohydrate source packed with essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, manganese and vitamin B6, AKA a nutritional powerhouse!
- 1 ¼ lbs chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, halved (about 3 lbs.)
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- Optional: ¼ cup ranch dressing
- Optional: ¼ cup crumbled blue chees
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice both ends from squash and discard.
- Stand squash up on one of it’s cut ends and use a large knife to cut the squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop seeds and stringy insides out using a large spoon.
- Place squash cut-side down on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender. Baking time will depend on the size of your squash, larger squash requiring a longer cook time. When squash is tender, allow to cool slightly before using a fork to gently scrape the squash into a large bowl. Reserve the squash shells.
- While squash is roasting, cook the chicken.
- To cook the chicken:
- Directions for Instant Pot: Insert rack into inner pot. Add 1 cup water or broth. Lay chicken on the rack. Secure lid and select ‘Poultry’ setting and increase time to 17 minutes (19 if the breasts are really thick). At the end of the cooking time, allow pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes then flip the vent valve and release the remaining pressure. Move chicken to a cutting board to cool slightly before shredding with two forks.
- Directions for Stovetop: Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp. avocado or coconut oil and swirl pan to coat with the oil. Add chicken and ½ cup water. Once the water begins to simmer, reduce heat and cover. Cook chicken for 15-18 minutes or until cooked through. Move chicken to a cutting board to cool slightly before shredding with two forks.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 580mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 36g